Monday, February 7, 2011

Assuming I'll have to move

Number one: Be ready to work for free.

Number two: Be ready to move.

Those are the two tips I’ve remembered from journalists since I’ve wanted to be a journalist. I consider them cardinal rules. I consider them necessary steps in order to become a reporter. I have been preparing for both to happen since I began the Creative Communications program.

I’ve done a lot of work for free already. I don’t mind it. I love what I do and feel restless without journalism.

It’s number two that’s getting scarier and scarier as my graduation date approaches. It’s not because I am afraid of moving. I love the idea. Not knowing where you’re going to end up and under what circumstances is a total thrill for me. I crave that excitement. I crave that phone call that says: “We need you in Egypt tomorrow.” It’s my personality. I’m ambitious. I’m adventurous. I love feeling important. I want to make a difference.

But who gets left behind? Is it fair to leave the ones you love? For how long?

Leaving those who are important to me to the point they feel neglected is my fear. But then again, should fear stop anyone? No one said all fears play out.

Am I selfish?

No comments:

Post a Comment