Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Long term journalism

Oi. It can be confusing.

Since March 2010, I've been working on a book about the town of Powerview-Pine Falls, Manitoba and the impact the paper mill's closure has had on the community. I began my research and interviews over the summer and came up with a carefully crafted outline in Sept./Oct. based on the information I received from that research and those interviews.

The results were mainly negative in the sense that many were concerned with how the town was going to continue.

However, as I return to the area for more interviews or follow-up interviews, I'm already beginning to notice a change in the way people talk about the area -- they're more positive about their situation and trying to reconstruct a base for a solid town with what they have. Or so it seems.

The confusing part is trying to represent both categories of feelings and knowing I'll likely be experiencing more of this attitude change as I continue. I'm so used to writing quick articles -- the interview happens, people have their opinion, I fire off the story. Done. Now it's all about updating my chapters to how people are feeling now, while still representing how they felt then too...which was only a few months away.

Dealing with the slight attitude changes is something I never expected and a challenge I'm facing.

Stay tuned to see how it all plays out.

1 comment:

  1. Doing seagull journalism is easy: Fly in, crap on everybody, fly out.
    What you are doing is harder and more worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete