Monday, October 25, 2010

Why report on crimes?

I sat in the preliminary hearing of a murder trial today. Cool huh?

That’s what I thought at first as I sat there with my big fancy reporting pen and notepad. I felt important. I thought I might like to pursue crime reporting. And I was especially proud because I felt like a real journalist reporting on the stuff that matters.

And then I doubted myself: Does crime reporting matter?

It’s not like reporting on horrific acts like the murder trial I was in today is going to stop crimes from happening. And the details must just re-traumatize victims – I don’t want to do that.

But then again reporting on issues of crime could help keep the justice system in line. Think about Omar Khadr’s case: without the media’s constant attention to the issue, would we still know about him? Would the Canadian government still be trying (or pretending to be trying) to do something for the poor boy if it weren’t for the public outcries reported by media?

Usually, when I’m asked to explain why crime reporting might be necessary I just regurgitate one of my first year sociology class lessons. According to one of the best instructors I ever had, Helmut-Harry Loewen, society needs crime in order to function. Crime brings society together because those who hear of criminals on the loose look out for each other and start public awareness groups like MADD which in turn brings people together to help fight the acts. It gives us another reason to speak to each other and look out for one another. The repercussions from criminal acts also highlight the good and the bad people – by doing this we create ideals; we show what it takes to be accepted.

At least that’s the basis of Loewen’s point.

However, this explanation really only explains how crime reporting participates in the function of society. Is that really enough? In response I’ll choose to revert back to my initial question: why should we report on crime?

Mike McIntyre? Are you out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment